Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.

hpv i have just been diagnosed with it it showed up in my pap smear

Customer Question

i need to understand the hpv i have just been diagnosed with it it showed up in my pap smear
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for submitting your question.

In the past pap tests lack the technology to detect the HPV virus. However, within the past 1-2 years pap tests with viral technology are available. It is possible that you have had the virus all along but not detected in previous pap smears.

The fact that you carry the HPV virus does not necessarily mean there is any abnormalities in your cervical cells.

In most cases this virus will clear, and your practitioner will just want to watch you a little more closely than usual, generally by retesting in six months. This is to ensure that the cervical cells indeed stay normal.

I hope this answers your question.

Dr Wu, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
they said some of the cells looked different how do i know if iam contagious i have no symptoms when is it ok to have sex and wnen should we not
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 4 years ago.
Your pap result indicates that you carry the HPV virus, which means you can potentially pass the virus to your partner.

As I mentioned, most women do clear the virus after a few months. The safest thing is to wait until you get retested. However, you should know that the type of HPV found in the cervix rarely causes any symptoms in male(unlike other types of HPV, which can cause genital warts).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how can i tell when the virius is active
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 4 years ago.

Women with mild infections have no symptoms. Those with moderate to severe HPV infections have vaginal spotting, especially after intercourse.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how would we know if my husband has been infected and can he carry the virus
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 4 years ago.

There are no HPV tests for men at this time.

Yes, he can carry the virus. But in healthy individuals the virus is usually cleared by the immune system.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what are the chances of this being cancer
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 4 years ago.
If you have had normal annual pap smears up to this point, then the chances of this being cancer is extremely low( it takes years for HPV to cause cancer).