CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I have had elevated absolute nuetrophils for 6 months. They

I have had elevated absolute nuetrophils for 6 months. They stay at 8500. My WBC is 9. I have been to several docotrs to rule out infection and blood tests for inflammation and all good. I am scared since the nuetrophils are high so long. Is this normal for some people? My hematologist says I don;;t need a bone marrow biopsy as of yet... Could this be a luekemia brewing. He won't give me an straight answer except lets watch your levels. I cry all the time with fear!
Hi and thank you for your question. A high neutrophil count can have many causes including anything that causes high stress on the body, such as nervousness, exercise, infection ,kidney failure,ketoacidosis ( which is a condition in which ketones are produced by the body due to difficulty breaking down fats),Cancer and some medications such as corticosteroids and lithium carbonate. Since there can be so many different causes there is no sense in making your self sick with worry over cancer, if there were indications of cancer your Doctor would not withhold that information from you. I hope this info helps you. Please remember to click accept. thank you and HAPPY NEW YEAR!