Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have had a tight feeling in the left side of my neck for

I have had a tight feeling in the left side of my neck for several weeks. It occasionally pulsates strongly particularly after eating. I am female aged 40 years.

Greetings.

Are your neck movements painful and restricted?

Is there any tenderness, swelling?

Any significant past medical or surgical illness?

Are you any medication?

Do you have reflux disease?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is no swelling. Movement feels stiff but not restricted. I do suffer indigestion but not sure its reflux disease. I have no other medical symptoms and have no history of any ailments except for recently diagnosed gum disease which is also on the left side. The only medication I take is the contraceptive pill. Since the neck pain started I have also had occasional twitches in the left side of my face and cold sensations on my upper lip. I had a large Chinese meal last night and the pulsating was greatly increased.

A pulsation increasing after the meals need to be considered for gastroesophageal reflux disease. A trial of antacids like Tums or Maalox and acid blocker Prilosec would be helpful (both of them are available over the counter).

Since your gum disease is recent; your stiffness may not be related with it. Many times a gum disease enlarges lymph nodes in the neck. These lymph nodes can irritate the neck muscles which can cause soreness and stiffness with the tight feeling. But as you have this for several weeks; this may be cervical muscle strain (trapezius and sternocleiodmastoid muscle strain). There can be aggravation due to the gum disease and secondary neck lymphadenitis. You can do warm compresses and apply local analgesic ointment. Physical therapy also is helpful, which you would need to learn from a physical therapist.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. The link to reflux disease makes a lot of sense. I awoke from sleep with acid in my mouth last week. I will try Maalox and I am trying to treat my gum disease with better oral hygene and herbal solutions.

Hello

You are very welcome.

Please read this resource for the home measures for the reflux;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gerd/DS00967/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies

Best wishes and kindest regards,

Dr. Arun