Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I have had a foul smelling discharge(like trash and rotten

I have had a foul smelling discharge(like trash and rotten meat) along with cramping (when I'm not on my period).I have also been feeling very bloated and feel as if I'm going to burst. I have taken over the counter bv medicine and seems to work but after I have sexual intercourse with my boyfriend i seem to get the same symtoms again. They also seem to come back when I get my period. I had a friend who had somewhat similar symtoms and turned out to be pelvic inflamatory disease. Would this be what I possibly have as well. I have gone to my gynocologist and he ran std test which came back negative and my papsmear came back normal as well. I'm at witts end. Please help me.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 6 years ago.

I don't know when your last test was at your GYN, but a foul smelling discharge is usually associated with something like Bacterial Vaginosis or Trichomoniasis. Both Bacterial Vaginosis and Trichomoniasis requires antibiotics such as Flagyl to clear up completely. Once you start a treatment with antibiotics, you cannot have any type of sexual contact or you will end up spreading it back and forth from your partner back to you. Sometimes, males do not always have symptoms as females do and may have no symptoms at all, so the spreading can take place without you even knowing it.

Also, douching is not a good idea at all. This can disrupt the normal flora of the vaginal canal and cause the Bacterial Vaginosis. Both can/will cause a foul discharge and painful intercourse.

You mentioned Pelvic Inflammatory Disease....this too, can cause symptoms similar to what you have described but left untreated can cause infertility and other problems. Again.....cured with antibiotics. Over the counter treatments simply do not work. You have noticed this by now.

I think it is prudent that you go ahead and get re-swabbed for infection and start an antibiotic and bare in mind that BV is sometimes hard to treat and may take 2 rounds of antibiotics for it to completely go away.

Hope this helps!

Don't forget...You will need to click ACCEPT or the $$$ you have put down as a deposit will not go to me. will hold your deposit and I will not get credit for my time and efforts.