Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

I accidently left my nuvaring birth control in for 10 days

I accidently left my nuvaring birth control in for 10 days longer than I was suppose to. I had a very long period when it was due. The next month was normal. The most recent period I didn't have a normal flow I just spotted and it wasn't a normal color. Is this normal?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for writing in today. It is not uncommon for a woman to have some fluctuations in her menstrual cycle. The amount and characteristics (color) of the bleeding can fluctuate greatly. The menstrual cycle is actually sensitive to changes, such as failure to ovulate that month, illness, stress, or travel. However, as in your case, any change in hormones (birth control) can actually cause some irregularity in the cycle. When this happens, it can take a few cycles for the cycle to normalize again. At this point, this is probably some benign irregularity; however, it wouldn't hurt to discuss it with your Ob Gyn provider. You especially need to see your provider if your next cycle is still irregular or you develop any additional symptoms, such as abdominal pain. I hope this helps. If you have additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa