Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

neuropathy..neuritis in both ankles..tylenol ,pain creams, ice..ortho

I have neuropathy in both feet. They ache all the time and sometimes at night jerk, I also have neuritis in both ankles. I use tylenol ,pain creams, ice, bamboo fabric socks and special ortho. shoes, but nothing works for more than a short time. Is there a cure for this condition?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for writing in today. Neuropathy is a form of nerve pain. Generally, the nerve damage or dysfunction associated with neuropathy is not curable. Since the damage or dysfunction is done, the goal of treatment is actually to control the discomfort and prevent continued nerve damage. For example, poor diabetic control is associated with neuropathy. Therefore, for some patients, improving glucose control to reduce nerve damage is a goal. You may not be diabetic. There are other issues that can cause this problem. If you do have a suspected cause, the goal should be to get it under control. However, unfortunately, neuropathy can also be idiopathic, meaning the cause is unknown. At any rate, given your history and attempted interventions to control the discomfort, I suspect you likely need medication to achieve any improvement in your symptoms. First of all, you should discuss this with your provider. If you haven't been officially diagnosed with neuropathy, your provider should evaluate you and provide you with an official diagnosis. Also, he/she may want to screen you for possible restless leg syndrome (RLS). (Your symptoms sound a bit suspicious for restless leg syndrome.) There are many different medication options, such as Neurontin, Elavil, Lyrica and Requip. In your case, since you are having symptoms similar to RLS, you may want to specifically discuss Requip or Lyrica. These have both been very beneficial in treating your type of symptoms. As for home remedies, some of the best options, particularly at night when you are having the most symptoms, include getting up and walking around, taking a warm bath, and elevating your legs in bed. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa