Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

I was taking salsalate an tramadol for arthritis ect.I have

I was taking salsalate an tramadol for arthritis ect.I have hep-c gastroparesis,ileus,I recently ended up in hos for 3 days for diffuse gastritis.On my relase i was told not to use salsalate any more.What can i use for pain?

Thank you for writing in today. The reason you shouldn't use the salsalate for pain is because of the potential gastric irritation. Most anti-inflammatory medications can cause irritation to the stomach lining. These medications tend to block prostaglandin formation. Blocking prostaglandins help with pain relief; however, prostaglandins are needed to maintain a healthy lining in the stomach. Therefore, when taking anti-inflammatories for pain, irritation of the gastric lining can occur. Ideally, your pain would be manageable with the Tramadol; however, if not possible, you will need to talk with your provider about other possible options. To more appropriately make a medication regimen, a provider needs to be involved with you personally. Your provider may be able to make some alterations in your Tramadol dose and frequency. Also, your provider may recommend an opioid based medication. If he does recommend an opioid based drug, I just want you to know that these drugs do have some potential for dependence, have side effects, and Tramadol and opiates do not mix well. At any rate, there are limited over the counter options. Since you have liver issues, adding Tylenol to your Tramadol regimen is not safe without the advisement of your physician. Finally, if interested, certain non pharmacological interventions, such as massage, yoga, meditation, and biofeedback, are sometimes helpful. I hope this helps. If you have additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa