Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

I have to get lab work done on monday to test my adrenals.

I have to get lab work done on monday to test my adrenals. The lab test is Cortisol & ACHT. I just noticed that my daily vitamin has Licorice Root (15mg) in it. Will this make a big difference in my lab work? I know you are suppose to avoid licorice at least 2 weeks before any adrenal testing...

Thank you for writing in today. Licorice root has been associated with increasing adrenal function. At this point, I doubt that licorice root in this small of a dose will cause too much of an alteration. Since this is in your multivitamin, you could choose to hold the vitamin until after the test, or you could consider using a multivitamin without licorice root until the test. Again, with this dose, I am doubtful that there would be a significant effect; however, I would still recommend discussing it with your provider at a minimum. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa