Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

since i had an operation on my discs which closed down had

since i had an operation on my discs which closed down had a decompression and an implant put in ,before and after my op im getting a tiall over my body is this normal please

Thank you for writing in today. I want to provide you with the best possible information, so I do have a few questions. What do you mean by "tiall" all over your body? Could you describe this to me, including intensity, frequency, duration, and location? Please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry im getting a Tingle all over my body is this to do with the operation
since my discs were fixed

Thank you for responding. The sensation you describe is likely Paresthesia. Paresthesia is a neurological tingling type sensation. This can actually be a normal variant post vertebral disc surgery, particularly if epidural medication was used. It also depends on the level and severity of the disc disease. If you had severe disc disease, this could have caused some associated nerve inflammation or damage. At any rate, you may find that this starts to resolve as you continue to recover; however, since this was present before and after the surgery, I would recommend having this fully evaluated. If not already done, you should have a full neurological evaluation and possibly some imaging scans and nerve conduction studies. A thorough examination will help to rule out other underlying conditions. It is important to rule out other possible causes, before concluding this is related to the vertebral disc disease and repair. I would start by discussing it with your surgeon. He/she may have already done some evaluation and can likely shed more light on this issue. If additional workup is necessary and depending on your surgeon's skill set, you may benefit from a neurologist or spinal specialist consult. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i dont think I had an epiduriel im not going back to the surgeon till may 2010, i sent a tex to his under study and asked him about it, tthe doctor i was under while in hospital thanks for your help.
Your welcome. Just talk with the doctor about this. It needs to be evaluated, but no reason to worry at this point. Take care. Lisa