Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

I am 43 years old. Last year my period stopped for several

I am 43 years old. Last year my period stopped for several months and then suddendly re-appeared in its old pattern though I did find out that I had a fibroid. My hormonal levels were found to be fine. This year, I stopped having my period for approx 4 months and then they re-started but I've been bleeding continuously for 6 weeks now. Tests on my hormone levels have indicated to my GP that I need to see a Gyno but I'm waiting for an appointment for several weeks now from the NHS. I'm getting tired and fatigued from constant bleeding. Should I be concerned? Is this the normal start of perhaps the menopause?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.

Hello SibhanA1,

Thank you for writing to JustAnswer Health with your concern.

It is normal in that the periods do become further apart as one nears menopause, and they can also restart and be irregular.

The bleeding is more likely related to the fibroid problem and i agree that it is important to see the gynocologist.

The average age of menopause is 50 years of age. Menopause is defined as 12 months of no menustration at all.

So you are on the younger side for menopause, but it does occur in some women at this age - in other words you are in the age range for menopause, and definatly in the age range for peri-menopause symptoms.

The excessive bleeding is not normal. I do think that you should see a doctor much sooner than waiting for the scheduled gynecological appointment due to your symptoms of tiredness and fatigue. You need to have a CBC to see if you are anemic and how severe the anemia is. I would recommend that you call the gynecologist office where you have the appointment, explain that you are bleeding continuously for 6 weeks (adding how many pads you use per day is also helpful) and are now having increased tiredness and fatigue. They should get you in right away, if not go ahead and see your regular doctor, or any doctor at all.

If you experience any dizziness, shortness of breath, or stop urinating then you will need to go to the ER immediately for these symptoms, as it indicates you are seriously depleted of blood or anemic.

We want to prevent you from getting that anemic though, that these severe symptoms would develop, so see a doctor early this week (Monday or Tuesday) but again, go to ER if increasing symptoms such as mentioned above occur at any time.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions or comments please feel free to reply.