A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

how common are ruptured brain aneurysms in young adults in

how common are ruptured brain aneurysms in young adults in their 20's
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Just having any brain aneurysm is fairly rare. Incidence of rupture is about 10 in 100,000 (0.01%) per year. They are more common in people 30-60 and women outnumber men. I found no statistics on people in their 20s, but you can assume it is even rarer than 0.01%. A lot depends on the causes of the aneurysm, which you can read about in the link below.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/cerebral_aneurysm/detail_cerebral_aneurysm.htm

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi. Thank you for your valuable information. May I please ask you one more thing and I will add bonus?

1.)Is it possible to have a SAH for a couple days and not have any symptoms but a mild headache?

2.)I have had this weird headache for the last two days. it started off as little "jabs". it felt like someone poking me with an ice pick but it would only last about 3-5 seconds and than it would go away. it was on and off. and it was localized to the top part of my head a little to the right

Now today i wake up and have a mild headache in the same spot but it's constant but not terrible and i do feel a little pressure above my right eye. It is NOT that jabbing feeling. Advil does seem to help on some level. I have no known medical problems. I have lower than normal BP. I do smoke though. No birth control.

3.) Could this be a sinus related issue? I have been know to get them frequently. The last time I had one, I had a CT and the ER doc did scans of my brain to check for a bleed and than of the sinuses (this was about 5months ago) and she said i had a sinus infection "deep inside my head" which was causing me a headach on top on my head simalir to this one.

4.) Have you ever seen in your years of practicing a young adult like me with a ruptured aneurysm?

5.) Should I be worried?

I thank you for your time, and i will add bonus for these extra questions and your time. Thank you.

SAH doesn't cause mild symptoms. There are lots of different causes of headaches (tension, migraine, sinus), and SAH is near the bottom of the list.

Stress and tension are far more likely to cause headaches of this type. I would stop smoking though since smoking never helped the health of anyone connected with it.

It can be sinus, migraine, you could need glasses, tension, stress, virus infection, and many other things.

Never.

5.) Should I be worried?

No. You should get your anxiety treated though since it appears for some reason you are fixated on aneurysm.