Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

I noticed yellow milky fluid leaking from my nipples yesterday.

I noticed yellow milky fluid leaking from my nipples yesterday. I'm not pregnant, is this something I should be concerned about?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Do you take any medications?
Have any health problems?
Irregular periods?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I take Pristiq (an antidepressant), Apri (birth control), Zomig for migraines, naproxen for migraines, and propanalol for my headaches and anxiety. Yes I almost always have a constant headache, migraines 2-3 times per week. I tend to get ovarian cysts and kidney stones. And my periods were very irregular until starting BCP.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

The yellow milky fluid discharge from both nipples is called galactorrhea. This can be caused by many things--medications, excessive stimulation, wearing too tight of a bra, or elevated levels of the hormone called prolactin (which is the hormone responsible for milk production).

I recommend that you see your doctor to have your prolactin levels checked. Prolactin is produced by the pituitary gland, which is located in your brain. Occasionally, a very tiny, non-cancerous tumor secreting prolactin is found in the pituitary gland. Headaches and irregular periods can also be symptoms of this. It is a very treatable and non-life threatening condition.

Here is more information about galactorrhea if you would like to read:

Birth control pills can also occasionally cause discharge from the nipples.
White or yellow discharge from both nipples is not a symptom of breast cancer, in case you are wondering. Bloody, clear or straw colored nipple discharge coming from one duct in one nipple is concerning for underlying breast disease.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions and I will be happy to answer for you,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!