Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

Im experiencing an involuntary movement of my upper lip.

I'm experiencing an involuntary movement of my upper lip. I'm not speaking & this is the first time this happens to me. What can be the cause? Should I be concerned? What should I do?
Is this twitching one side of the lip?

How long has this been going on?

Any numbness or other symptoms anywhere on the face?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is twitching on the right side. It has now stopped but was on for severa minues, about 5 to 10. No numbness.

What you were experiencing is likely just the normal twitches that people do experience from time to time.

Many times, this can affect small muscles in the face, like the lip, or the eyelid.

This is often called "benign fasciculations" -- fasciculations are the medical term for twitching -- and often felt to be normal in most people.

I often get twitches in my eyelid, which persist for a while, then go away for months. As long as this is not recurrent, or worsens, this does not need any specific evaluation.