CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

i was dancing and heard/felt a pop and my hip is swollen and

i was dancing and heard/felt a pop and my hip is swollen and having trouble walking...any ideas?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
HI and thank you for your question. While you MAY have torn something, the pain you are feeling may be due to inflammation in the area which may be impinging on a nerve. The head of the femur can pop out and then go back in place due to unusual , forced, or sudden movements causeing trauma to muscle, tendon, or cartilage. What you can do is try to avoid movements that cause pain, and apply ice for the first 2 days ( 15 minute intervals), if there is no improvement you really should see your Doctor for a diagnosis and treatment. I hope this helps you. Please remember to click ACCEPT. Thank you and I hope you feel better very soon! :-)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

do you think the fact that I heard the pop that it is unlikely that there is a tear? If i'm reading you correctly, sounds like rest and ice should take care of it.

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
It sounds more like a dislocation than a tear and if so, rest and ice should take care of it.