Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...

Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

My BUN was 23 and my creatinine was 1.5. My egfr was 48.

My BUN was 23 and my creatinine was 1.5. My egfr was 48. I have hardening of the arteries. Is this treatable?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 4 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. Do you know about your previous BUN and Creatinine levels? Any trend that you are aware of? Any history or renal problems? Any other illnesses not mentioned? What medications do you take? Any recent changes in medication? Please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bun was 25 and creatinine was 1.3. No History of Renal problems.I have asthma, Hypothyroidism , and PVC's as well as hardening of the arteries. No recent changes in meds. I take synthroid, amiodarone, verapamil, centrum silver, caltrate, finasteride,azmacort inhaler,detrol,polyetheline glcol, simvastatin. I did take prednisone about 30 years ago for the asthma.I seem to be handlingthe asthma very well. I go to gym daily.

Thank you for responding to the questions. I know questions can be a bit of a hassle; however, this type of information is very helpful. As for the results, the important thing to consider is a trend over time. With these labs, multiple results and a pattern are more telling than one particular result. Your creatinine level is a better indicator of renal functioning. Labs vary with regard to reference ranges; however, a creatinine of 1.3 and 1.5 is either normal or only slightly elevated, depending on the lab. As for the BUN, this is less specific than creatinine when considering renal function. BUN is actually more easily influenced by acute factors, such as dehydration and exercise. The BUN can fluctuate easily. If you were to have these labs drawn again next week, you would likely have a different BUN level. As for the GFR, this is lower than desired; however, with age, it is normal for a person to lose some renal functioning. The reduced GFR should not be too concerning at this point; however, again, the trend is what is important. Talk with your provider about your results. Perhaps develop a plan to periodically monitor your renal function. Once you have another result, compare the results. Look for a trend. Consider your advanced age. If your BUN remains in the mid 20s, creatinine 1.3-1.5, and GFR high 40s for the next couple of years, I don't think you really need to worry about it too much. As for the hardening of the arteries, comply with your plan, the statins and dietary changes, that reduce the risk of continued hardening, and you should be fine. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions, concerns, or need clarification, please let me know. Lisa

Edited by Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN on 12/15/2009 at 1:14 AM EST
Experience: Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner