Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

What is the difference between Cerefolin and Cerefolin NAC

What is the difference between Cerefolin and Cerefolin NAC? Mu mother has been on the NAC for quite awhile, but when I picked up her last Rx it was not the same tablet and I am wondering what the difference is and should I call the doctore for a new prescription? Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Does your mom have memory problems?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, she has been diagnosed with Dementia, the neurologist prescribed the Cerefolin NAC quite some time ago. Her new doctor has written a prescription before for the Cerefolin NAC, but the last one he wrote was just for Cerefolin. I'm wondering if it was just a clerical error on the prescription or is it the same thing. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
No, they are different,
The cerefolin NAC contains an additional ingredient called n-acetylcysteine. Some studies have indicated that it may improve cognitive function in patients with memory loss.

If that is what she has normally been prescribed, the doctor may have made an error this time. I would call the office to see if he meant to make a change.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!