Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

I have white milky anal discharge during bowel movement.

I have a white milky discharge from my anus when I have a bowel movement.

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.

Does the discharge appear like mucus?
Are you having any pain with bowel movements?
Diarrhea?
Blood in the stool?
Weight loss?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi the discharge is quite thick, I guess it could be described as mucus looking, when it was suspended in the water, there was the main part of the discharge with stringy parts coming off it, some very fine. I scooped it out and have saved some of it in a glass jar with water in, but it has now all stuck together.

• no pain in the bowel
  • no diarrhea
  • no blood
  • no weight loss
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.

Just a few more questions if you don't mind...

Does the discharge look like pus?
Have you recently had anal intercourse?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi

It does look slightly like puss but it is bright white, no yellow or any other color.

No have never had anal sex or any form of anal play, but am sexually active with my wife.

Regards

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.

A clear mucus discharge from the anus is not abnormal, it can be seen in people who have irritable bowel disease. This mucus is thick, jelly-like, but it is clear, not white.
If you are experiencing white, not clear, discharge, it can be a sign of infection of the rectal area.
I would have your doctor take a look and do a rectal exam to check for infection.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am going to make an appointment to see the doctor as soon as the office opens on Monday. Should I take along the sample of discharge or should I flush it back into the toilet? I did forget to say this is the 3rd time I’ve noticed the white anal discharge in three weeks (once a week).

Regards

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.

It wouldn't hurt to take a sample. If infection is suspected, they can send it for a culture and also look to see if there are any white blood cells in it (that would suggest infection). They may not need to do anything with the sample but keep it just in case.

Also pay attention as to whether it seems to be diet related. I think it is unlikely, but perhaps you are not absorbing something from your diet and this is leading to the white discharge.

Check your skin around the area to make sure you don't see any redness or inflammation that would suggest that you have an abscess (pus collection).

Also, if you get a chance, let me know what your doctor says.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi ok will do that and will log back in after I’ve been to the doctors and let you know.

Since you mention about my diet, I take antacid tablets (rennie) most days and get acid indigestion most days of the week, sometimes excruciating stomach/abdominal pains. Some days I know I take way too many rennie say 8 within an hour.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.

The indigestion and the amount of antacids you are taking at one time needs to be discussed with your doctor. There are more effective ways to treat heartburn/indigestion and if you are getting abdominal pains, it is possible that is related to the rectal discharge.

Don't forget to mention this indigestion to your doctor.

Take care and look forward to the update.