Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...

Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

My eight month old son has had bronchitis but is now getting

My eight month old son has had bronchitis but is now getting better. Tonight he has a rash on his stomach and back, could it be related or is it something else?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 5 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. I want to provide you with the best possible information, so I do have a few questions. Has he had fevers? If so, what days did he have fevers? Is he taking any medication for the bronchitis? Is this new medication for him? Any history of allergy to medication? Can you briefly describe his symptoms during this illness, even though he is improving? Please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He has not had a fever and seems generaly well. On Tuesday we went to the hospital and he was given a nebuliser fot the bronchitus. He has not been taking any other medication. There is no history of allergies. His symptoms have been a cold and cough followed by whizzing.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks

Is he up to date on all his immunizations?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes.
Thank you for responding to the questions. Questions can be a hassle, but the information is quite helpful. Well, based on this information, this rash is most likely to be a viral related rash. It is very common for children to develop a rash, particularly on the back and stomach, as viral illness develops or begins to resolve. In fact, for children his age, roseola is very common. However, roseola is usually remarkable for a high fever that resolves and then rash development. Although roseola is most common, this type of pattern, developing a rash as a viral illness resolves, is commonly associated with other viral illnesses as well. One important thing to consider is medication reaction; however, since your son is not taking anything, this is not an issue. Also, in these types of situations, it is important to consider the whole picture. Is the child playing? Is the child improving? Etc.. It sounds like he is improving; therefore, this would be more likely to be a benign variant of a viral illness. At this point, I suspect he will continue to improve over the next few days and his rash will also resolve over the next few days. However, due to his age, I would recommend contacting his pediatric provider. Due to the limitations of the internet, we can't replace a primary provider. With children this young, it is important to have their own provider involved. You may be able to just call the office to notify the pediatric provider. He/she may or may not require a visit at this point. I suspect they will just want you to monitor. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa
Experience: Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner