Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

I got hit in my left calf muscle by a puck. It didnt seem

Customer Question

I got hit in my left calf muscle by a puck. It didn't seem like that hard of a hit until I took my skates off after the game and tried to walk. It felt like a bad charlie horse in my calf. It has been a week now, I have some slight bruising on my lower calf but the pain all over my calf muscle. I can't touch or flex it without extreme pain. I have been streching it as much as possible even though it hurts. how long should I expect this to hurt for and is there anything I can do to speed up recovery?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

is the calf more swollen than the other leg?

Did you warm up/cool down after the game?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did warm up and cool down after the game. Not much swelling at all which I find weird. It feels like a really bad charlie horse/muscle cramp every time I try and flex or push off walking.
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the extra information, is there any change to the temperature or color of the leg or feet?

Have you seen a doctor about this?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
To be honest I haven't noticed and temperature change but it has started bruising a little bit but not right where it hurts and in a few different places, larger than a puck and in different places on my calf. haven't seen a Dr. yet, didn't want to waste their time if it was just a sore muscle.
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

If the pain is extreme (more than 7/10) then this needs to be seen by a doctor. There are some rare causes of pain after exercise including shin splints (if the pain is at the inside part of the calf), even a stress fracture if the right circumstances occurred.

A bone bruise is another possibility and this will take a long time to heal.

You do need to see a doctor if this pain is more than 'overused muscles'. Examination may be enough, or you may need a MRI to look at muscles and tendons and check there is no underlying damage.

The lack of swelling reduces the possibility of this being a clot but does not rule it out completely and you may also need an ultrasound of the blood vessels in the leg.