Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...

Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

lots of blood in urine for 6 months. was hospitalized for it,

lots of blood in urine for 6 months. was hospitalized for it, thought i had kidney stones, that was july. nothing ever happened. i was dropped from my insurance and am wondering how important this really is.
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 4 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. I completely understand the lack of insurance issue. However, I would have to strongly recommend continued follow up regarding your hematuria (bloody urine). Hematuria can be caused by a number of issues. These issues can range from minor to more severe. In your case, the fact that your hematuria has persisted over a period of time, even with improved pain, warrants additional evaluation. Unfortunately, cancer can cause hematuria. Although this can be related to a number of different issues, the fact that cancer is a possible differential diagnosis further reinforces the importance of follow up. Now, with this being said, I may be able to provide you with some information about obtaining some free or discount medical care or health care resources. In order to do so, I would need to know your general location, such as city and state. If you are interested in more information, please let me know. Otherwise, I wish I could tell you that waiting is prudent and that additional follow up can be deferred; however, I do not believe that deferring medical care would be the best option at this time. Lisa

Experience: Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay. So I am understanding that even if the flank pain is better, there could still be a problem. I guess this is also why I am losing weight.

I live in the Tampa, Florida area. I was told that if I have cancer or something defined as "catastrophic", I can get high risk insurance. I just have to pay for the testing done to figure out what it is first. My husband and I have guessed that would be around $5,000. We can afford that, I think I'm just scared.

Thank you for your help.
You are very welcome. Keep in mind this could be something less concerning than cancer, such as severe kidney infection. At any rate, evaluation in necessary. I'm wishing you the best. Take care! Lisa