Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

my daughter jammed her left ring finger with a basketball today.

my daughter jammed her left ring finger with a basketball today. I'm just now finding out that this happened - its a little swollen around the knuckle. She says it hurts to move it but she can straighten it and make a fist. Should I keep it immobile or not, and should I take her to the doctor?

Thank you for writing in today. Basketball and jammed fingers are very common. The best way to treat this type of injury is to elevate and ice the injured joint. Movement of the joint is more positive than an immobile joint. When a joint maintains range of motion, dislocation and fracture is less likely. Fortunately, most jammed finger injuries are not associated with fracture. With the motrin, ice, and elevation, I suspect that this will progressively improve over the next few days. Movement is as tolerated. However, due to the limits of the internet, I can not substitute as a provider, so, obviously, I would have to recommend consulting a provider. Now, with this being said, as I mention, I suspect this will progressively resolve over the next few days; however, if she develops and new or worsening symptoms, such as increased swelling or joint immobility, or if she does not experience progressive improvement over the next few days, I would definitely recommend evaluation to check for fracture of dislocation. I hope this helps to answer your question. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa