Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

slow in action and it always takes her ages to do everything

My daughter is 8 years old and she is very bright.
But she is very slow in action and it always takes her
ages to do everything. She always has trouble finishing
her tasks in class and in exams, and consequently loses marks on her performance.
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for writing in today. Based on the information you have presented, your daughter may benefit from an Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) screening. ADHD can actually manifest in different ways. There is actually an Inattentive Type of ADHD. Obviously, her pediatric provider will need to interview you and the child more indepth regarding lifestyle and the issue; however, I suspect her pediatric provider may also want to screen for ADHD. Generally, in the beginning, both you and her teachers will likely need to fill out some questionnaires. Usually, a child with an ADHD disorder will have problems at home and at school. It sounds like your daughter is having difficulty in both settings. At this point, again, I think initiating some screening may be the best next step. I hope this helps. If you have additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa

Edited by Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN on 12/10/2009 at 5:47 AM EST