Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

How wide can the anus stretch?

Customer Question

How wide can the anus stretch and what should I do because my anal muscle seems to be unable to close again.

I recently used some very wide things and my muscle seems stuck at that diameter.

My anal sphincter protrudes between my buttocks and it is embarrassing.

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 7 years ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer

Do you have voluntary control over the anal sphincter and do you have a regular bowel movement now?

Do you see anything protruding through the anal area?

How long after inserting the object through the anus have you felt the anal stretching?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I started using a anal toy about 5" wide because I saw it once on the internet and used it every day for a while. Thought it would be ok. I don't have any prolapse but I can't close my sphincter at all now and it hangs down. I stopped using it about two weeks ago. Sorry to bother you but I'm too embarassed to see my own doctor.

Thanks for your reply.

But you did not mention about your bowel movements. (constipation, blood in stool).
If you have incontinence, you probably will require immediate surgical repair of the anal sphincter. If you do not have any such problem, you probably have developed "anal fissure" or tear of the anal mucosa involving the internal anal spincter.(the external anal spincter being normal).

I understand what you are going through right now, but you will have to consult a doctor (GP or surgeon). A confirmed diagnosis cannot be made until the area is examined. Treatment will depend upon the results of the examination. Conservative management should suffice.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

my bowel movements are thankfully predictable. It is my outer sphincter that looks the worse. Is there any way to get it responding again without having to see someone?

Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 7 years ago.

Hello

Once your anal sphincter muscles are stretched out this far, there is nothing you will be able to do at home to improve this type of situation. You will need surgical intervention to repair what has been done. Also, fissures (tears) and hemorrhoids can result from an overstretched anal sphincter as well as fecal incontinence. You say your bowel movements are not affected and that is good. At this point, it may be a cosmetic issue, but from what you are describing, you will surely need surgery to correct this.

Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
should I carry on using the toy then? If the anus can't be fixed (which is a shame obviously) can the anus go wider without tearing. If it is a lost cause I feel I might as well accept it and get something bigger. Is this safe?

Hello

I would not suggest carrying on with it. By inserting things into your anus it can cause hemorrhoids, fissures (painful tears), fecal incontinence, makes you more susceptible to infections. In extreme cases, I have seen a prolapsed rectum that started to tear and then a fistula occurred. A fistula is a significant medical issue because it allows feces to pass outside of the bowel, and requires major surgery to repair.

So, no, nothing going into the rectum is considered safe because the anus/rectum was not designed for this purpose. The mucosa/tissue in this area is very very delicate (as you have already encountered) and you must take care not to make this situation any worse.

Hope this helps you decide what is best.

Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.