Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...

Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

No family colon cancer, but multiple mieloma for my father.

No family colon cancer, but multiple mieloma for my father. Is the change of being low change is there is cancer in the family. I have had skin cancer in situ squamous cell. To much time in the sun on a swim team. So. having no symtoms doesn't exclude a person from having colon cancer? My sister has breast cancer stage 1 NO MO does that affect my chances diagnoised this year.
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 4 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. At times, I find it is particularly helpful to clarify information, just to ensure I have interpreted the information properly. At this point, you are telling me your father has no colon cancer history, but he has had multiple myeloma. Your sister has breast cancer (currently). You have had skin cancer; however, it is resolved. Please clarify if this information is not correct. Also, I would like to clarify your question. You want to know your risk of colon cancer? Or, have you been diagnosed with colon cancer? I really appreciate the inclusion of your family and personal cancer history; however, please clarify your current situation and questions, especially if different from what I've mentioned here. Please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the confusion. No one, including myself, ever had or has colon cancer. My sister is here with me and wants to know if her low grade stage 1 NO MO absent vascular involvment would put her at a higher risk for colon cancer. She had surgery in Febuary of this year. A lumpectomy clean margins. She has her coloscopy next week. My father pasted away 20 years ago from his disease. My skin cancer resolved with no ill effects for me. With cancer in the family, would it put me at a higher risk? And, also is my sister, 61 years old, at a higher risk even though her chance of recurrence is very low? Let me know if you need more information
Do you know if she is positive for the BRCA gene? This is a gene that is usually screened in women with breast cancer? Please let me know. Lisa
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No she is not. We just read her pathology which is DCIS and IDC 1.5 stage 1, grade 1, no lymph node involvment no metastisis and no vascular involvment. Low recurrence score on Onco type DX she is taking Arimidex and had 33 radiation treatment to her left breast.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. Well, depending on the research you read, information regarding whether or not breast cancer and colon cancer are related varies. However, even of those studies that correlate the two cancers, there really isn't an increased risk of the disease. The correlation is more about a change in the way the disease progresses. I will explain. Some research has found that women WITH the BRCA disease that do develop colon cancer seem to develop it more quickly. However, again, this does not mean that there is an increased risk of colon cancer. It just means that it tends to develop more quickly in those with the BRCA gene. Now, since your sister is not positive for the BRCA, that is great. Also, a negative family history of colon cancer is also very positive. Colon cancer risk is heavily influenced by family history, so this is also a positive. Overall, I would not consider her to have a high risk of colon cancer. However, I do want to point out that even if colon cancer does develop in a person, the mortality associated with colon cancer has decreased over the last decade (recently released data). This reduction in mortality rates is closely related to careful screening; therefore, I would recommend compliance with annual fecal occult blood testing and routine colonoscopy. This is essential for anyone. I hope this helps to answer your question. If you have additional questions or need clarification, please let me know. Lisa

Experience: Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Great news. I understand Rita's risk(sister) and mine is as orginally stated, very low. So, tomorrow I will not be as anxious but very hungry. Does the fact that neither my sister or myself have any of the signs of colon cancer in our favor?

No family history of colon cancer and no symptoms, such as changes in stool characteristics or frank bleeding, are very good signs. However, keep in mind that colon cancer can actually present with no or hidden symptoms, such as blood in the stool, so it's important to have your annual fecal occult blood test and routine colonoscopy. At this point, I think you both should feel comfortable about your risk, but even if lower risk, you should still have your regular screenings, as I mentioned. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help. We will be more vigilant now with my sister new problem. Glad we have each other and our families. Merry Christmas to you.
Thank you. I am glad I could help. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well. Have a good night. Lisa
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You were right on the money. Had the procedure today. The prep was awful procedure scary and the results were clean as a whisle no polyps or any other thing growing. What a relief. My sister feels much better after talking to my doctor. He told her that it was common for bc patients to have colon cancer also. But, just because you have bc doesnt mean you have or will get colon cancer. She took a sigh of relief. Especially when no symptoms are obvious.

Good night and thanks again for your help.
You are very welcome, and I'm glad it all worked out. I'm glad both you and your sister are feeling more positive about the situation. Take care! Lisa