Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.
4968719

I am 55 yrs old and I was just released from the hospital after

Customer Question

I am 55 yrs old and I was just released from the hospital after originally being treated for a TIA..My symptoms were Migraine aura (without the headache, which I have aura about 4 times a month.)...slurred speech, stuttering, weakness,weight loss, extreme fatigue and I was given a MRI of the head, an EEG and the Dr's state they were okay and now they sent me home with no answers....I am very frustrated, I still have the slurred speech and weight loss...Please help
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for submitting your question.

You may have a disorder known as migraine variant. Patients with this disorder complain of migraine aura but WITHOUT the headache, as well as neurological deficits such as weakness, slurred speech, dizziness, numbness in parts of the body, or visual changes.

Migraine variant is thought to be caused by abnormalities involving certain brain blood vessels. MRI and EEG findings are usually normal. The diagnosis is made based on your symptoms.

There is a variety of treatment options for patients with migraine variant. We usually recommend using medications for blood pressure such as metoprolol, which helps to relax blood vessels in the brain.

I hope this answers your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry that I left out I do take blood pressure meds, but they took me off the medicine in the hospital because my blood pressure was running low...105/63...Is this dibilitating enought to be taken off work?
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 7 years ago.

Yes. This level of blood pressure can cause symptoms of fatigue and dizziness, and can certainly affect your ability to work.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My blood pressure was normal w/ medication when I was admitted to the hospital. I do take hbp medication and it has been controlled by the medication. I am more concerned about the continued symptoms. I am just very frustrated that no one can give me an answer...would my next step be a second opinion? I also suffer from chronic back pain and take medication for that.
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 7 years ago.
As I mentioned, I believe you have a condition called migraint variant. Although blood pressure medicaiton is one form of treatment, there are other treatment available(e.g. tegretol). Please have a discussion with your neurologist.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I need clarification on this....I was taking hbp medications to control my high blood pressure....because of the weakness an inability to eat, I suppose my BP went down....this is not the problem....I need to know why after almost two weeks in the hospital I can't get a straight answer other than migraine....I haven't had an aura in about a week to 10 days now and am still very light headed and slurred speech, short term memory loss...I am looking for answers