Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

Im currently on wellbutrin sl twice a day (150mg each) for

I'm currently on wellbutrin sl twice a day (150mg each) for slight depression and lack of motivation. I also take seroquel at night to help me sleep (25-50 mg). Today i was give 10mg of adderall to help my energy level. At the same time I asked my doctor about what to do about the anxiety ive been feeling during the day due to the WB (and now the adderall as well). He suggested i take half a dose of the seroquel so that (hopefully) it doesnt make me sleep but still calms my nerves.
Now that I've had time to think about it, im wondering about the combination of adderall and seroquel. it seems as if they'd be counterproductive as the adderall is a pick me up and the seroquel is a calm me down.
So my question is, is there even a point in taking the seroquel after ive taken the adderall or will one just cancel out the other? can i possibly experience the good effects of adderall and get rid of the anxiety with the seroquel? Also, is that combination of meds safe?

Thank you for writing in tonight. I want to provide you with the best possible information, so I do have a question. Do you have any history of seizure disorder? please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, ive never had any major health problems. I know i've been cleared to take all three meds on their own and wb + seroquel for sleep but im just wondering how the adderall fits into the mix and how i can best alleviate some of the anxiety i get due to the wb and adder.

Thank you for responding to the question. I will explain why I asked about seizure disorder history. Wellbutrin is associated with reduced seizure threshold; therefore, seizure is sometimes a side effect of Wellbutrin. When you add the Seroquel and the Adderall to the mix, the greatest risk is a further reduction in the seizure threshold, so the greatest risk is a potential for a slightly higher risk of seizure. Since you have tolerated the Wellbutrin and Seroquel well, you may not have any issues with adding the Adderall; however, it never hurts to be informed about the potential risks. Now, with this being said, seizure risk is the biggest drug interaction concern; therefore, if your provider recommended using the Seroquel to calm your nerves and the Adderall to help your alertness, you may achieve a good balance. You could consider starting the Adderall and then adding the Seroquel after a few days to see how you respond. Also, I would recommend approaching your provider for information as well. Most providers understand that patients have concerns about drugs and drug interactions. Your primary provider is in the best position to advise regarding drug interactions, particularly since they have access to your past medical history, such as seizure disorder. At any rate, I hope this helps to answer your question. If you have additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks lisa.
so, just to clarify, I take it from what you're saying that even though the seroquel and adderall seem as if they'd sort of cancel each other out, that is not the case and I can potentially get the benefits from both when taken at the same time?

thanks again.

I can only think that your provider is thinking that maybe you will get some benefit by combining the therapies. I suspect your provider thinks the Adderall will provide some relief from the fatigue, but he/she likely thinks that the seroquel will help with nerves but won't cancel out the benefits of the Adderall. I suspect your provider has recommended these medications for the potential benefit when prescribed together.