Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...

Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

rash on the inside crook of her arm..we thought it was ringworm..ridge

My 12 year old daughter has a large (about 2 inch diameter) red raised rash on the inside crook of her arm. She does play sports and is very active. At first we thought it was ringworm, but there is no outside ring and the rash is solid red without a ridge. Any ideas what this is or what we can do about it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 4 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. I want to provide you with the best possible information, so I do have a few questions. I hope you understand. How long has she had this rash? Has she been ill recently? Any history of skin issues, such as eczema? How is she responding to the hydrocortisone and benadryl? Is the area painful or itchy? Is there any exudate, crust, moisture? Is there any activity that she does frequently that would keep that crook area moist and sweaty? Any pets in the home? Any recent exposure to persons with similar skin issues? Please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She has had it for about a week. She has not been sick and the only skin issue she has had is a food allergy last year that we could not figure out and has not popped up again. She said it is sometimes itchy, but not bad especially after the hydrocortisone cream. She is a cross country runner so it probably is moist and sweaty for long periods of time when she runs. She also plays basketball at school every morning for an hour and in the afternoons for 2 hours. We do not have any pets, but my sister brought her cat here during the thanksgiving holidays, but I think the rash may have started before that.

Thanks!

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. I would suspect this is most likely dermatitis. Keeping the area clean and dry and applying the hydrocortisone twice a day should show some significant improvement. You could loosely cover the area with a dry bandage after cleansing and applying the cortisone. Also, have her shower as soon as possible after activity. Sweat can be very irritating to the skin. This may help. If there is not significant improvement within a few days, then possible fungal infection should be considered. Again, you can use an anti-fungal medication in a similar manner to the hydrocortisone recommendation. Again, if she doesn't have significant improvement to the antifungal, then she needs to be evaluated for possible cellulitis (bacterial infection of the skin). I suspect this will resolve with the hydrocortisone or anti-fungal. However, to confirm a diagnosis, she would have to be seen by her provider. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa

Experience: Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner