Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

Hello, I tested positive for hpv (no warts) about 2..back..pap smears

I tested positive for hpv (no warts) about 2 to 2.5 yrs ago. Every six months thereafter I have tested negative and was told to go back to annual pap smears. I will be married soon and my fiance is aware of my history. Is it safe for us to have unprotected sex? (We would like to have children.) Thank you.

PGS

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. With time, the body can actually rid itself of the HPV virus, which is why you started to and continue to test negative for the virus. At this point, your repeat negative results means that there is little risk of passing the virus. As for unprotected sex, having the negative results are most ideal. Your past positive-HPV result should not defer you from trying to have a baby. Lisa