Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

about 3 months ago, my sugar levels have dropped

I take 2000mg Metformin and 100mg Sitagliptin for Type 2 diabetes. Since the Sitagliptin was added, about 3 months ago, my sugar levels have dropped from approx 9.2 to 6.0. The problem is that I now have regular feelings of sickness and a loss of appetite. I now take Vitamin C to improve the appetite and Ginger Root to stop the sickness feelings. My blood sugar has now risen to 7.5. Is it these last 2 items that are causing the problems and what do you suggest I use to combat the side effects?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for writing in today. Yes, HIGH DOSE Vitamin C has been associated with increased glucose levels in some patients. However, since your appetite has been imporved with the ginger root and the Vitamin C, do you think that the improved appetite, since starting these supplements may be contributing to your increased glucose? Also, metformin and sitagliptin are associated with increased gastric upset, similar to what you are experiencing, when used together. Generally, patients will gradually begin to tolerate the medications, and gastric side effects will diminish. You may notice your side effects diminish as therapy continues; however, if your symptoms persist for more than a few months, you may want to consult your provider again. You may not be able to tolerate this combination of medication. Also, probably the best way for you to reduce the risk of gastric side effects is to take your medications with food. Most patients find this particularly helpful. I hope your side effects will progressively improve and you'll tolerate the medication. This combo may be able to get your glucose under control. I hope this helps to answer your question. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your most helpful reply.

You're very welcome. Those oral meds for diabetes can be so beneficial, but they do have so many pesky side effects. I hope you get some relief soon. Have a good afternoon. Lisa