Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...

Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

IM HAVING THIS VERY BAD PAIN IN MY RIGHT ARM FROM YESTERDAY

Customer Question

I'M HAVING THIS VERY BAD PAIN IN MY RIGHT ARM FROM YESTERDAY AT ABOUT 3PM, I WENT HOME LAST NIGHT FROM WORK AND TOOK 2 ADVILS THE PAIN EASE BUT THEN THIS MORNING IT STARTED AGAIN, THE PAIN IS FROM MY ELBOW TO MY SHOULDER MOST OF THE PAIN IS IN MY SHOULDER AREA.
THANKS
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Saurabh Joshi replied 4 years ago.

Have you lifted weights / strained your arm ?

Does this pain increase on movement / exercise ?

Do you notice any swelling / redness / tenderness over the area ?

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have not bump it, no redness , a little swelling not much, i dont not left weights, and it hurts on movement
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
STILL WAITING FOR AN ANSWER
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 4 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. I do have a few questions. I hope you understand. Any other symptoms, such as chest discomfort, shortness of breath, nausea, profuse sweating, irregular heart beat, or neck pain? Any other medical conditions? Any past medical hisory, especially cardiac history or neck injury? What type of work do you do? Any repetitious movements of the arm, wrist, hand? Please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'M ON THE COMPUTER EVERYDAY, NO CHEST DISCOMFORT, NO SHORTNESS OF BREATH, NO MEDICAL HISTORY OF CARDIAC HISTORY, NON OF WHAT YOU DISCRIBE ABOVE, A LITTLE PAIN IN MY NECK AT THE RIGHT SIDE, NO OTHER MEDICAL CONDTIONS, JUST BORDERLINE DIABETIC, AND I TYPE A LOT EACH DAY, I'M AN OFFICE MANAGER.
Just a couple more questions. Any numbness or tingling along that right arm? Where is the elbow pain most located? Is it more behind the elbow, on the side closest to the body, side away from body, or front of the elbow joint (this is with your arms at your side with your palms in front)? Is there any position that makes the pain worse in your elbow and shoulder, such as certain wrist movements or putting arm behind body or into a coat, etc? Please let me know. Lisa
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THE PAIN IS THE WORST IN MY SHOULDER, ITS VERY HARD TO LIFT MY HAND AND ITS MOSTLY ON THE OUTSIDE OF MY HAND ITS VERY PAINFUL TO PUT MY HAND BEHIND ME OR TO LIFT IT UP
Thank you for writing in today. Based on your injury, I would suspect that you have an overuse injury. It sounds like you may have bursitis, tendonitis, and/or impingement syndrome. These conditions are similar in presentation, and you will need to have an evaluation to narrow down the possibilities; however, these too can occur together. Obviously, cardiac causes should always be considered in the differential diagnosis list for arm pain, particularly if there is some neck pain too; however, you have no other associated symptoms, suggesting cardiac origin, and you did respond to the anti-inflammatory medication (Advil). Generally, a cardiac issue will not respond well to an anti-inflammatory drug; however, overuse injuries do respond to anti-inflammatories. Your typing and office work is most likely to cause some carpal tunnel syndrome; however, it can also cause some elbow tendonitis and bursitis and some additional shoulder bursitis, tendonitis, or impingement, depending on your posture. At this point, again, I would recommend evaluation, particularly since the shoulder is involved. These conditions can actually lead to bigger problems if not treated. Also, if not already done, you should evaluate your work environment and improve the environment to include more ergonomically friendly equipment. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa
Experience: Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner