Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
15267045

After several weeks on Bactrim for prostatitis, I suddenly

Customer Question

After several weeks on Bactrim for prostatitis, I suddenly developed severe weakness --unable to sit stand or walk, Diagnosed in hospital with peripheral neuropathy of unknown origin, Stopped the med.but still having difficulty and spend most time in bed. In hospital developed electrolyte imbalance (hyponatremia).Any suggestions on treatment?
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomer
The few causes of PN of Unknown origin would be Intermittent Porphyrias,Celiac Disease,Paraneoplastic,Genetic,Autoimmune related,Metabolic like Prediabetic and insulinresistance related,and Vit B12 deficiency related.The casue has to be found. Around 30% of these will remain cause Unknown.use of good shoes,regular exercise like cycling/swimming,thick soft socks and keeping busy with aflexible schedule will all help.The specific treatment as per your doctor/Neurologists advice as they can examine you and guide you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

This information I already knew. I have seen 12 specialists in the last year--including 4 neurologists. I thought you mignt be aware of some connection between the Bactrim and the neuropathy, and give me some suggestions regarding treatment, but apparently you too have not kept up on the research either. Sorry to have taken up your time.
I will opt out and allow someone with this knowledge to answer the question.