CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

mild pain and discomfort under left rib, some dizziness and fatigue

I have had some mild pain and discomfort under left rib, some dizziness and fatigue. Eating doesn't really seem to affect the feeling either way. Sometimes I feel like I have a little side stich in my left rib (like you might get from running). Not sure what could be the cause of discomfort?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. Are you on any medications for any other diagnoses currently?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
The pain you are describing may be could be due to a condition called costochondtitis. Costochondritis is an inflammation of the cartilage that connects the ribs to the breastbone.Costochondral ligaments can refer pain from the front of the chest to the mid back, causing sharp pain over the ribs that worses with breathing and movement. It may also be tender to the touch.You can try this: usa a bag of frozen vegetables ( corn, peas, small veggies) and apply it to the most sensitive area 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off. Also, rest more and try to find a position that you feel the most relief in while you apply the ice and even when you are not applying ice. Practice abdominal breathing as this will move your chest muscles less and also provide a much more effective breath. To abdominal breathe ( which is a much more effective breathing technique) place one hand on your abdomen and one hand on your chest... watch to see which rises. It should be the abdomen, NOT the chest.Practice breathing using your abdominal muscles... (to breathe with chest muscles causes fatique and chest tightness) by taking in a deep breath through your nose.. making sure only the hand on your abdomen moves, slowly.. and exhale showly through the mouth.. your abdomen should flatten with exhalation. Do this three breaths at a time. Breathing correctly will immediately eliminate anxiety and may help with the pain of costochondritis....if this is what it is. If you continue to feel this pain and it is not helped by the things I mentioned, they you should call your Doctor as he may want check you and order some medication to help you. I hope this information helps you, if so, please click accept. Thank you and I hope you are feeling better very soon! :-)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you think that I would experience the dizziness with this condition?
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
If you are not breathing correctly, yes... dizziness is possible. Have you had abdominal surgery at any time? Another possible cause might be adhesions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No surgery. I am in good health; exercise almost daily. Just started feeling like this about a week ago. It's not really painful, just a dull ache under left rib and the dizziness or fogginess comes and goes throughout the day.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Try the breathing technique and see if that helps you, if the fogginess continues, see your Doctor for a diagnosis and treatment.