Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

my right foot hurts and when i bend it the top arch hurts

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 years ago.

Have you injured it?

Is it only the top of the foot that hurts? Or somewhere else (ankle, calf, toes, etc)?

Is there any redness? Swelling? Pain when you press directly on that area?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no injury, arrived back in London, end of october, when i walk right foot at the top hurts, making me limp.

when sitting i bend my foot as far as it goes and i get a pain.

when i push or rub the top of my foot , towards the leg i get a pain

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 years ago.

Do you have weakness in moving your foot up towards the "sky"? (e.g. the opposite movement of "pressing on a gas pedal")

Do you have lower back pain? Pain in the back of the thigh? The knee?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no, only pain when i bend my toes the top arch of my foot pains. and when i touch or ruc the top right foot.

No pain in back, knee, or thigh.

No bruise, little swollen. tried grips and gel.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 years ago.

OK.

Are you wearing tight shoes, or shoes that are tight over the top of your feet?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no, same shoes etc, no different lifestyle all the same.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 years ago.

OK.

Well, there are so many reasons for foot pain -- it probably would be very difficult (if not impossible) to know what the potential cause could be without seeing a doctor in person.

But this pain over the top of the foot can often be seen with nerve inflammation that runs over the top of the foot -- which can be inflammed by conditions that compress this nerve, and can be seen in shoes that are tied too tight over the top of the foot, or people that wear high-heels, for example.

There are certainly other reasons for this, including inflammation of tendons over this area, pain from arthritis in the bones of the foot, inflammation of the bursa, fractures, etc. Given that you can reproduce the pain with stretching or pressing on it, it seems that there is some inflammation of something in this region. The best thing to do may be to wear looser fitting shoes, to get pressure off the area, and to see your doctor for an exam, because an exam, and imaging (if necessary) are the best way to figure this out.

Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience: U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery