Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

both ears are plugged one worse than the other, no fever. Annoying

both ears are plugged one worse than the other, no fever. Annoying losing my hearing should i go to er?

How long has this been going on?

And did you have a lot of ear wax? When was the last time it was removed?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

alot of wax. removed with q tips and never had any professionally removed

Well, the thing with removing earwax with q-tips -- is that much of the ear wax is also pushed inwards -- causing worsening of your hearing and is the reason why that most doctors do not recommend regular cleaning of ear wax with qtips.

This may be the reason for your trouble with hearing, since there may be ear wax pressed against the eardrum (impacted ear wax).

Your best bet is not the emergency room, but to see your regular doctor, who can clean out this ear wax while looking directly into your ears. If you feel that you do have a lot of ear wax, you can go to the pharmacy and get ear "drops" -- a peroxide like mix that helps to dissolve the ear wax.

But this is not an emergency, and if you did go to the emergency room, it would likely only mean you would be waiting for hours and leave with a very large bill.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i tried the ear wax removal kit otc. it seemed to make it feel more clogged. my dr can't get me in right away. should i do the otc stuff again?

Yes -- you should realize that it doesn't work instantly. What it is doing is "softening" up the ear wax so it can fall out naturally. Of course, you have to resist the temptation to try and dig it out with the qtip, since all that you would be doing is pushing it back inwards, and having to start over.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you i'll try again.