Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

I am a 35 yr old male 63 210lbs. Have a health question that

I am a 35 yr old male 6'3" 210lbs. Have a health question that is puzzling me.
A few yrs ago noticed muslce twitching in my legs mainly calves and sometimes other parts of my body. Went to doctor and was told it could be many things fatigue, mineral imbalance,etc.... Was told to try some different supplements among other things. In the past few yrs it hasn't gotten any worse but they still twitch especially at rest and worse at night and after exercise. Along with this I have just physically felt "a little off", tired alot, trouble concentrating, unable to work-out like usual. I thought it could be getting older , but am still young and other wise in good health. Anyway went to doctor recently for a physical and got blood work done. The blood work showed higher levels of calcium(10.7), albumin(4.9), and cholesterol(220). Along with this i have noticed my urine is strong smelling alot, my wife noticed that too. My question is could all this be attributed to hyperparathyroidism?
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 6 years ago.

Hello flabbykikanee,

The elevated calcium could indicate a problem with the parathyroid gland. There is a blood test for that, so I'm sure your physician will test for it.

My other thought here, though is water. Elevated albumin, muscles twitches, strong smelling urine, tired, trouble concentrating---all of this can be due to dehydration. Before anything else, take a look at what you actually drink in a day. Do not count beverages with caffeine as these can be diuretic, causing you to excrete more water. And is you drink soda pop---Stop. Drink more clear liquids without caffeine, and more water. You need at least 2 quarts of water daily. More if you perspire heavily, or if you exercise alot.

Having said all that---elevated calcium is never normal. There is something causing it, so be sure to follow up with your physician. Hyperparathyroidism is the most common cause, but there are other conditions as well: cancer, sarcoidosis (body's immune system is overly activated), excessive vitamin D intake, to name some.

And it is possible for your symptoms to be caused by hyperparathyroidism. Here is a link for more information about this disorder: Mayo Clinic's page on Hyperparathyroidism