Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.

My left arm hurts, a big muscle strian What do I use to

Customer Question

My left arm hurts, a big muscle strian What do I use to ease the healing process Advil and other pain relievers aren't helping much nor is things like Icy Hot

Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 6 years ago.

How did you do it?

Have you seen a doctor already?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No insurance tried web md no luck

How did you strain your muscle?

Does it bulge out it one spot?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No bulging. Just sore from a strain

Thanks for replying. I was trying to make sure you have not ruptured your biceps. With no bulging than you probably have not done so.

Resting a strain is important to the healing so try to avoid lifting anything over 2-3 pounds. A gallon of milk weighs about 8 pounds.

You can take 4 Advil every 8 hours. That will total 800mg each time. Then take 2 tylenol 4 hours after taking the Advil. You can do that for 3 days straight. After that you should just take it if you are having pain.

BioFreeze works somewhat better than Icy Hot. You can get that over the counter as well. ALternate that with heat, That will help to increase the blood flow to the area and promote healing. Of course rubbing the area gently will also increase blood flow and promote healing as well.

If you can afford it after 2-3 days try to get a massage. That will help with focusing on tendons and muscles.

Best wishes on a speedy healing. IF you are still having lots of pain after a couple more days then you really should seek medical care.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Have done the Advil/Tyenol without much relief, of couse there is the time I am asleep when I can not take anything.