Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

Hi I am a 48 year old male just recieved bloodwork that says

Hi I am a 48 year old male just recieved bloodwork that says my Creatinine
is 1.41 and eFGR is 54. what does this mean and how concerned should i be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for visiting JustAnswer, and welcome.

Both results indicate that you have chronic kidney disease (CKD). The GFR is glomerular filtration rate (or the rate your kidneys process fluids that filter through them). Your result indicates that your filtration rate is moderately reduced, putting you into "Stage 3" of the 5 stages of chronic kidney disease. Stage 5 is "end stage renal disease" and usually requires dialysis as your kidneys are no longer able to filter waste products from your bloodstream.

At this point, you and your physician or health care provider need to be looking at how best to treat your condition to spare your kidneys any further damage. This would include treatment of the underlying condition that is causing the damage (such as hypertension or diabetes, for example) as well as things you can do to take care of your kidney function (such as dietary changes to restrict proteins, fluids, salt, potassium etc). To keep your kidneys functioning at their best and to prevent or slow further damage, you need to follow your health care providers instructions closely.

Here is a link to more information about Chronic Kidney Disease.

Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
Expert:  Valarie replied 4 years ago.

Hello--

I think it may actually be more concerning that you were fine 5 months ago, and now have this stage of a problem. This is more along the lines of acute kidney disease. Chronic kidney disease is something that comes about gradually because of another medical condition that is affecting your kidneys.

Acute kidney disease is something else. This could be caused by a number of things. However, depending on the cause it can be easier to actually treat.

So, what else is going on with you and when are you seeing your physician about this again?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my last blood test was 5 months ago my creatinine level was 124 and eGFR >59.

can it change that fast? I have been doing high intensity training weights/power yoga in the last 90 days. could that have affected my results this time also i started taking

doctor supervised testosterone cream once a day 50mg

thank you

bruce

Expert:  Valarie replied 4 years ago.

Hi Bruce,

Your last blood test also puts you in the Stage 3 range for chronic kidney disease. You test result this time is only mildly worse than the one 5 months ago. I don't think the testosterone or the exercise would cause this. It is usually caused by some chronic type of medical problem for a length of time (high blood pressure, diabetes, recurrent kidney infections or stones, cancer, hardening of the arteries....) or chronic use of certain medications that are hard on the kidneys---that sort of thing.

What did your physician tell you last time you had the testing done?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He said nothing about it I take a blood test every 6 months. i have neen taking lipitor 40mg and tricor 145mg to bring my cholesterol in line, which it does

Expert:  Valarie replied 4 years ago.

Hi Bruce,

Wait a minute.....

Is your creatinine 1.41 or 141?

And 5 months ago was it 1.24 or 124?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry it was 1.24 and now its 1.41
Expert:  Valarie replied 4 years ago.

OK, so I'm still confused. The eGFR is an estimated number, from the creatinine level. But with a creatinine of 1.24 and 1.41 (which are normal by the way), your eGFR should show much more than 54, or more than >59.

I think what is happening: your lab's "normal range" for serum creatinine is lower (than my source), so this will affect the estimated eGFR. If you do not have any health conditions going on besides high cholesterol---your doctor is most likely doing this test to make sure the drugs are not damaging your kidneys. So, with the labs values showing an estimated GFR that is on the low side, it looks like the medicine you are taking may be causing a problem. The tricor is not supposed to be taken if you have kidney disease, so this could be the drug that is a problem.

Other causes of your creatinine being a little on the high side could be a mild state of dehydration if you don't drink enough fluids, especially since you exercise; or your circulation to your kidneys is not as good as it should be.

(I have to give this as an "answer", but you have already "accepted", so you do not have to feel obligated to accept again).

Edited by Valarie on 12/1/2009 at 11:13 PM EST
Valarie, Nurse (RN)