A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My symptoms include...Frequent headaches, light headed, huge

My symptoms include...Frequent headaches, light headed, huge problem concentrating, memory problems (both short and long-term), generalized anxiety, mood swings, twitches in the eye and neck, irritable, frequent nausea, sleeplessness, my head seems to be too warm but the rest of my body is cold all the time. I get frequent sharp chest pains lasting a couple of hours, shortness of breath, and drowsiness. There are still more symptoms but i need to keep the list manageable. These symptoms have been going on for a year or so and at the beginning of that time i also lost about 60 pounds in a month or two for no reason. I didnt starve myself or do any altering of my diet. Shortly after the rapid weight loss, i began to have terrible anxiety. I went from being the most social and outgoing person, to not being able to even think about going somewhere. what's the diagnosis
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. The symptoms you have experienced - difficulty concentrating and with memory, palpitations and rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, lack of appetite, chest pain, irritability, and the others - are typical of anxiety disorder. It takes a minimum of a month for any anxiety or depression to work, so don't give up on them too early. It also can take a year or more for cognitive behavioral therapy to help a patient deal with their disorder can begin to help, so don't think that the psychiatrist or a psychologist have failed yet either.

By the way, the only way it is physically possible for anyone to lose weight is to take in fewer calories through food and drink than they expend in exercise and metabolism. The anxiety and/or depression was probably the reason for the weight loss.

http://mentalhealth.samhsa.gov/publications/allpubs/ken98-0045/

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what about the nausea though? it hurts and makes me nauseous just to cross my arms. its too much pressure on my stomach. i've been to a g.i. doctor and he gave me a prescription version of prilosec which didnt help at all. he told me i had a spastic stomach but didnt do any tests at all. he simply felt my stomach. when i try to sleep at night, i cant lay on my side anymore cause i can feel all my organs shift when i turn

Same thing, spasticity of the stomach (spasms) are often instigated from anxiety and stress. The usual treatment is an anti-spasmodic like Levsin or one of the others. Prilosec is for reducing stomach acid. It does nothing for spasticity. It is important that your doctors get the anxiety under control since that is crucial to eliminating your physical symptoms.
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist