Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I am 44 years old. I have high blood pressure. I lost my job

I am 44 years old. I have high blood pressure. I lost my job over a year ago and have not been on my medication. Currantly my blood pressure is 219/110 puldr 101. This is the readig I get from the local grocery store blood pressure machine. My blood pressure has been like this for awhile.
My question is when I lay down flat on my back I get mucus in my throat. I have to put pillows behind my back and sit up a little most nights. I can hear rattling in my chest also. My left knee is swollen and puffy. My ankles are sometimes. Today my chest hurt where I found it hard to breath. This happens about twice ever other month. I usually lay down for awhile and it goes away. Afterwards when I get up I am really tired and usually have a slight headache. By evening I feel better.
I am trying to weigh my options, should I go to the emergency room, an accute care center or to the clinic. I have an appointment for 12-17-09. I have no health insurance and dont want to be in further debt.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 6 years ago.

You, no doubt, need medical care. Your blood pressure is at a dangerous level and I would suggest going to the Emergency Room. I would assume also that not only is your blood pressure high, but I would venture to guess that is has been running high for quite some time now....which puts you at a greater risk for stroke and other problems. If you go to the ER, they cannot turn you away if you do not have insurance. Other than the ER, you can visit this link.. and put in your zip code and it will pull up healthcare providers in your immediate area that are either free or very low cost. Either way, I think being seen before 12-17-09 is prudent with your symptoms.

Hope this helps...

Don't forget...You will need to click ACCEPT or the $$$ you have put down as a deposit will not go to me. will hold your deposit and I will not get credit for my time and efforts.