Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

leg & foot cramping, sometimes I have it also in my arms and hands

What would cause leg & foot cramping, sometimes I have it also in my arms and hands.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
How often you get these cramping? Do you have any health issues? Have you been evaluated for it? Do you feel pain when you press in your leg/calf?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have this cramping daily, some mornings it is worse than others. I have no health issues that I know of and no I have not been to the doctor if that is what your asking as far as evaluated, that is why I am asking you. Pain when pressing no.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
You don't seem to have any health issues or other symptoms to pin point one of the possible causes. Muscle cramps is a sudden and involuntary contraction of one or a group of muscle. There are many possible causes of muscle cramps, but the most common causes are: overuse, dehydration, meds, muscle strain or standing in a particular position for long time. Crams in leg can also be due to inadequate blood supply, nerve compression or electrolyte imbalance( low potassium/potassium/magnesium). If the symptoms are mild, then it's managed by stretching exercise, muscle relaxant, adequate hydration. Avoid excessive use of these muscle and take a break for stretching. Using warm compresses or hot bath is also beneficial. These are general measures for mild symptoms. If you think, it's getting worse, then proper evaluation and blood work is required to rule out some of the problem pointed out above. You can read more about it from clcik here. Click on different icons to view details.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is not from overuse of these muscles, because I have a deskjob five days a week. My Chiropractor told me to stop drinking coffee, and I haven't had any for 5 or 6 days and the cramps have been easing up in the mornings. I just thought that maybe there was something being left out of my diet nutritional wise that you might spot. I do several vitamins daily including potassium, calcium and magnesium. I am not one to accept drugs from a doctor very easily, thats why I haven't seen a doctor yet about this.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Many times, it's not possible to pin point the cause, as crams can be related to wide number of possibilities such as activities, meds, diet, vitamins/minerals. As you are aiming towards natural recovery, it's better to take care of the nutritional factors which you are doing, and avoid aggravating factors like caffeine, alcohol. I think you can do a short massage to your calf muscle at bed time. As you have desk job, your positing might be playing some role in it, so walking would be beneficial as well. If you do not see any improvement after couple of weeks, it will be a good idea to have blood work up done, just to make sure that all your relevant tests are normal, just to keep in mind that if anythings is found, then treatment become very easy and rapid.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I also have a case of cotton mouth recently, that I can't seem to remedy. I have been drinking a lot of water in the last month or so. But my mornings and occasionly during the day my mouth is very dry. I have no idea what is causing that.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Excessive mouth dryness could be due to decrease water intake or mouth breathing. You may like to increase your water intake, which will resolve the problem. If you feel thirsty, then you will need investigations to find out the cause.
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.