Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

I hit my elbow real hard about a little over a week ago now,

I hit my elbow real hard about a little over a week ago now, had it xrayed and nothing. It hurts bad to any pressure anywhere on my arm. used a sling ICE Ibuprofen and it will go cold every now and then. Doc says let it be, how long sould it be and is there anything else can I do for the pain besides ICE and ibuprofen?? Please help!!
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 5 years ago.

How old are you?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
14
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my father is with me also
OK, I will need you to change the age and your father can ask the question. Sorry but it is our policy not to have underage customers.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok dad here how do I change it to me then??

You know I am not really sure, I will go on the basis that you are with her for asking the question.

Where is her arm the sorest?

Does it change colors like get purple or bluish?

Is it swollen?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
just above the elbow to just below it, it did have some bluish right after it happend but not now. it is slightly swollen now.

My other post must not have went thru. Sorry I think we had a computer"Bump"

I have 2 more questions:

Is her pain on the outsides of her elbow or front and back of her arm?

and

Does her fingers get numb or tingly?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok the pain is both outsides of her elbow and front and back on her arm. Yesterday it was it was only before and after her elbow. The Ice does not help the pain. her fingers only got numb the first day it happend and then nothing.

Thanks

It sounds like she has epicondylitis. THis is where the tendons get inflammed and the surrounding nerves. Can be very painful. I would continue the Ibuprofen three times a day. If the pain is not resolving sometimes steroids can help to decrease the swelling faster but truely continue the ibuprofen whether or not she thinks it is helping.

It can take up to 2 weeks to resolve, it is OK to wear the arm sling but take your arm out several times a day and gently move around.

Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.