Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.

Hello , I am 42 years old and bleed very heavily during my

Hello , I am 42 years old and bleed very heavily during my periods. I am anemic because of this. A reccent examination showed that I have nothing wrong in my womb. However he thinks that there could be something wrong with my bloods ability to clot, what does this mean and could hormones play a part in this also. What is the best course of action.

Thank you
Adela Bevan
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 6 years ago.

Have you had labs done and what labs were done in relation to your hormones and anemia?

Do you bruise easily?

When you get cut does it take a long time to clot?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I dont think i have been tested for my hormones, just iron levels.

I dont think I bruise easily, however injuries, a broken arm, 2 and a half years ago and a torn ligament in my right ankle, are taking a long time to heal.

Thanks for replying. The injuries long time healing would not necessarily have anything to do with the blood clotting.

In my experience, I would lean toward your hormones being a cause of the heavy cycles. It is best to be tested on day 21 of your cycle. The first day of your flow is day 1.

I would imagine that your doctor has you set up for clotting studies and additional labs if he thinks that it is related to that. I would encourage him to do your hormones and TSH as well. Hormones being imbalanced in and of themselves do not cause clotting trouble. The imbalance can lead to heavy cycles however. But would not cause you to bleed more if you got a cut.

I would explore both options if possible and not focus on just one.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok so I should ask if I can be tested for hormone imbalance, is that done through blods asi am meant to be having blood tests tomorrow.