Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

My husband 37, healthy is constantly having to clear his throat

My husband 37, healthy is constantly having to clear his throat? Is there some specific cause for this? It is winter. Also, are lymph glands under the chin, more noticable in a male? I noticed that I can see my husbands, but he said they've always been there...
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

Does your husband have any heartburn?
Allergies?
What is the size of the glands? Are they moveable? Tender?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He has had heartburn for the first time just 2 or three times a couple of weeks ago. He previously had a cold, and could move his glands over his jaw bone. He said they have gone down since, because he can't move them that much. still soft squishy, It just looks noticable on one side directly under his chin, not sure if its even lymph glands. Are there larger glands that you can feel under jaw line
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
There are salivary glands on both sides of the neck under the jaw (the submandibular salivary glands). These can be mistaken for lymph glands and are visible in people who are thin. That may be what you are seeing.

It could be that he has some reactive lymph nodes in his neck as well in response to his recent viral upper respiratory infection. If he has some that have been there all of his life, they are benign (not worrisome). Just watch them and if they get larger, tender or red, his doctor should look at them. If he suddenly starts losing weight or has fever or night sweats associated with enlarged lymph nodes, that is also something to be concerned about.

As far as the throat clearing, this can be due to chronic post-nasal drainage, acid reflux or for some people it is a vocal type tic.
If he seems to have drainage, you could have him try either a decongestant or an anti-histamine. If these make no difference, his doctor can prescribe a nasal steroid spray.

If the throat clearing increased when he stared having heartburn, then I would have him try a two week course of over the counter omeprazole. If this gets rid of the throat clearing then you know the cause. If the throat clearing recurs after stopping the omeprazole, have him follow up with his physician to discuss longer term therapy for reflux.

I hope this information answers your questions for you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have.

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
New question! I have fibercystic breasts in both. I noticed deep down on l side starting at the bottom of breast and goes up about an inch or so, feels like a ridge? Moves back and fourth. Wasn't noticeable with normal breast exam, also had normal mammo done about 6 weeks ago.. I'm healthy and 35..is this a tendon, or fibercystic tissue??
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.

Normally, just for future reference, JustAnswer policy really requires that a new question is opened when you have a different inquiry.
I am happy to answer this for you today, though :)

Are you feeling the ridge on both breasts?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, just left (thanks!)
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
There is a normal ridge in many women at the bottom of the breasts (it is called the inframammary ridge). The breast tissue in this area is simply more dense. It can become more prominent when we age and is often more easily felt when laying flat.

Because you are feeling it only on one side, I would have your doctor check it out to confirm that it is the inframammary ridge you are feeling.
It is also possible that you are feeling a cyst, especially given the fact that it is moveable.

I suspect that it is not at all something to worry about if your mammogram was normal.
But, whenever someone feels a new lump, it should be checked out, so have your doctor take a look.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you! I actually just had a breast exam 2 days ago, very hard to feel..it feels pretty flat I just happen to stumble across it, and was able to move it back and fourth like a ridge, doesn't feel like a cyst.. Is it possible to feel it on one side and not the other?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Usually you can feel it on both sides but our bodies are not perfectly symmetric...

If you had a normal exam two days ago and a normal mammogram, it is likely not worrisome.
I would, though, follow it up with your doctor if it is still present in a month specifically so that he/she actually feels the ridge itself.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok..could this also be fibercystic? I have felt ridge type things in other areas, or are these a normal part of the breast tissue?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it could be fibrocystic as well, definitely.

But along the bottom of the breast, a ridge is very common and in many cases is normal breast tissue. The ridge, though, is usually along most of the edge of the breast...

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX sorry! It goes up the breast not across bottom, if that makes a difference
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Yes, if it goes up the breast and not along the bottom, it is not the inframammary ridge.
It may be fibrocystic change or a cyst (which you feel it does not seem like in consistency).

Again, with a normal mammogram it is likely not worrisome but I still recommend that your doctor actually feel it.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you! I do have another one of these ridges I did just find again. I noticed this one a few months ago, and us determend fibrocystic channges.. It feels like the same. SafE to assume the same?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it is probably the same thing, then, if they feel the same.
I really do not think you have anything to worry about.

Dr Abby

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
I see that you have asked the same question of five other doctors.
If you need clarification on anything, please ask.

Edited by Dr. Abby on 12/11/2010 at 11:29 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No! I'm sorry...I'm on my blackberry, and when looking at reports I hit copt before realizing ut was wrong person, because this was"old" I couldn't find it!

I will accept your answer! I also was realizing, the more I feel it, is it possible its fatty fiberous tissue and it feels like a ridge from the side because I am moving it between or over my ribs? It feels so normal when feeling from the top. And I do have a lot of fiberous tissue in tha area?!!
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
It is not a problem...I just don't want you to continue to be worrying all weekend.

The ribs can also confound the issue because of the edges...often people confuse ribs for masses themselves.

The fact that what you are feeling is mobile and the fact that your mammogram was normal all suggests that what you are feeling is benign and not worrisome.

Dr Abby

Edited by Dr. Abby on 12/11/2010 at 11:41 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you!! Can moving this around make it seem of more like a mass because I'm moving it back and forth opposite of the way my ribs are placed?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
It is possible. The fact that your doctor could not feel it suggests that it may not truly be a mass.

Dr Abby