Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

I am 19 years old and I have been having increasingly irregular

I am 19 years old and I have been having increasingly irregular periods. For example my period will come on the 1st of may end on the 7th and then return on like the 10 th of june, when I used to have a regular cycle. (28 days) It has become out of wack. Also my husband and I have been using the pull out method for a year now and I have realized that I can get pregnant from that so I am going to start using condoms, but my point is he has ejaculated in me before and I havent gotten pregnant. I wonder if I am having some sort of fertility problem, or if I need to go and see a gynecologist for some check up I'm not sure what I need to do.
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for writing in today. Having some cycle irregularity is not uncommon for any women. A number of things can cause a cycle to become irregular. For example, illness, stress, and even traveling can cause some irregularity. You may find that your cycles return to normal soon. Also, I would recommend tracking your periods. By tracking your periods, you may find that your cycles become more regular. Some women have 28 day cycles; however, cycle length can vary greatly from 21-40 days approximately. You could consider using an online cycle tracking calendar. There are a few calendars available online that are user friendly and can help keep track of your cycles. Also, you should discuss your current menstrual changes with your Ob Gyn provider. He/she will want to confirm that this irregularity is not related to any underlying disorder. Also, he/she may be able to provide you with some hormones or birth control to help regulate your cycles, if indicated. As for not getting pregnant that one time your husband ejaculated in you, this does not necessarily mean you have a fertility problem. Women are only able to conceive certain days of the month. If he ejaculated into you, it is possible that you were not fertile at the time, if it wasn't around your ovulation time. Also, even when a woman does ovulate and is within her fertile days, pregnancy is not always a guarantee. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa