Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

barking cough, little to no production of mucous, wheezing in my chest

I am currently taking Levequin 500 mg for recurring bronchitis. Have been on this along with a steroid medication for 5 days. I still have a barking cough, little to no production of mucous, wheezing in my chest. Chest tightness, upper left side pain in back when deep breathing. Shortness of breath when walking. Cough worsens at night. I am also a 3 year breast cancer survivor. Age is 40! Could this be more than bronchitis?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 years ago.

Hello! It may be just a bronchitis that just will require more tiime to settle down. You clearly have either an asthma exacerbation or an exacerbation of COPD along with the bronchitis. Usually we begin to see some improvment by five days out of effective antibiotic response but full improvement of cough and wheezing may take weeks. The pain with deep breathing is called pleuritic pain and this is probably due to an inflammatory reaction associated with the respiratory infection.This condition is referred to as pleuritis or common called pleurisy. This can be a symptom of pneumonia. So, if you are feeling worse/no better with regard to the pleuritic type pain and severity/productivity of the cough I would suggest that you follow up with your doctor. It sounds to me that you warrant further evaluation and a chest x-ray. I hope this information helps. further questions are welcome if you have any. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD