Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

i have a bad odor coming from my nose and sometimes my throat.

i have a bad odor coming from my nose and sometimes my throat. i understand i have post nasal drip . but my turbinates on my right side is 85% swollen all the time not completly shut. i ve had this bad odor for about a 2 years . also my right nasal passage is dry almost like it makes very little mucus. ive gone to 2 ent they dont what it could be from.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 years ago.

Hello! If you've seen two ENT's and they have been unsure of your diagnosis then I'm not sure that I can be of much help. I will try however. It sounds that you might benefit from a sinus CT if you have not had one recently. An Ent might scope the nasal passages and sinuses and obtain some cultures. I think that this path would be the most likely to benefit you. At first glance the foul odor would suggest an infection to me but two year duration does not exactly fit so well with this. Certain bacteria can arise in chronic sinus infections that might not respond to the most common antibiotics. You may have a growth or obstruction of a sinus that is leading to the chronic problems. It sounds to me more aggressive measures to firmly establish your diagnosis is what is needed. I would recommend that you follow up with one of the first two ENT's as the following of a problem over time is useful from a doctor's perspective. The initial answer may not be the final answer. A trial of empiric antibiotics is standard in suspected sinusitis but failure to respond to treatment calls for further diagnostic steps. I hope this information helps. Further questions are welcome if you have any. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. thabnk You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ive already had endoscopic surgery of maxillary, ethmoids and frontal about a year ago. also have 2 ct scans done and they said its chronic sinusitis but i think theres more to that. because the ct scans show slight inflamation of the sinus walss and they still look like that.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello! Sometimes a chronis sinus infectionmay respond to a prolonged coure of Clindamycin. Has this been tried? A culture of the sinuses may direct therapy and best ensure that the infection is being treated. I hope this helps. Further questions are welcome. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD