Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

I missed my last active pill, took it the next day when I remembered,

I missed my last active pill, took it the next day when I remembered, (about 16hrs after the time I should have taken it), but then I had unprotected sex the day after that. Should I take the morning after pill? Will it affect my period?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Hello, what is the brand of pill?

When was this?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Its Ortho-Cyclen 28, (not ortho tri cycle, just ortho cyclen), and I was supposed to take my last pill this past Sat. night (the 28th), but took it sunday afternoon, and I had unprotected sex last night.
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Was this an 'inactive' tablet, and did you start the new pack yesterday?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no it was a blue active tablet (so it was pill 21), i'm taking the inactive tablets right now, so i should be getting my period soon
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

As this was the last active tablet, my advice would have been to continue with your next pack starting yesterday. But as we have missed that opportunity then I would suggest the emergency contraception (plan B).

The risk of you getting pregnant is very low, but the gap at the end of active tablets, may slightly increase the chance of ovulation and it is not worth the risk of getting pregnant.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok i will take Plan B asap, will it affect my period? Does that mean that I will not get my period this week?
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately taking the plan B at this point may lead to extra spotting or bleeding, in some patients they do miss a period but it is hard to predict.