Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

I have PCOS and I have been trying to get pregnant. I have

Customer Question

I have PCOS and I have been trying to get pregnant. I have not menstrated for two months now, but have pretty strong cramps. Last month when my period was due I has SEVERE cramps for about 12 days, but it never came. Since, then I have moderate to severe cramps that come and go. Knowing I have PCOS, is it worth a trip to the doctors, or should I just wait it out?
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 6 years ago.
Hello.I suggest you see your doctor at the earliest.I realise you have PCOS ,and irregular periods and cramps may seem normal,but I would still advise you to see your doctor.She may at least rule out any abnormal problem,may also offer some pain relief.If you are not pregnant,you may ask her to help you with your effort to get pregnant.You may need to be thoroughly tested and examined ,especiallly your hormonal profile,your blood sugar and thyroid.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have recently been tested on blood sugar, thyroid and hormonal profile per my reproductive specialist. I am not exactly where I need to be and it is something I am working on. I have lost 20 pounds in the last 4 months or so, but still have about 2 more months to go before my doctor wants a follow-up on these tests to show any improvement. Since losing the weight, my period was regular for the 4 months, but has disappeared again.

My last visit to the specialist suggested that I go on birthcontrol and was told that "fat people don't get pregnant." It was a waste of a visit: My husband dosen't want me on BC because we are trying to conceive and my "fat" sister is pregnant (with twins at that). Should I continue to see this specialist, find a new specailist, or see a regular OB/GYN? Last month I requested a pregnancy test from my regular practitioner and she said that periods are irregular and I don't need one. I just don't know who to see that will lead me in the right direction.

Also, I should note that the severe cramps are in the pelvic area, but I've also been having cramps in the upper and middle abdomen area and also on my sides. It seems to be very sporatic. I've taken doens of HPT and they were all negative, but then again my sister did not show on a HPT at 4 months pregnant.

THe loss of weight does help in feeling fitter and will be good for your health.Obesity does cause problems in becoming pregnant.We have often found that BC often helps regularise the periods.There would be no harm in seeking a second opinion from another specialist.Since the cramps seem to be at different locations,other problems should be ruled out.I wish you good health and good luck.