Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Eye Pain, Unusual redness of left eye, no discharge from the

Eye Pain, Unusual redness of left eye, no discharge from the eye but excessive tearing,foreign body sensation, runny nose clear discharge from nose, flu like weakness, slight body ache, mild temperature followed by sweating
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

How long have you had the eye pain? Any visual changes? Light sensitivity?
How long have you had the upper respiratory symptoms?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Thanks

The eye pain has been since 6 hours now. I can see clearly but there is light sensitivity, bright lights hurt.
The flu like symptoms too appeared at the same time as the redness in the eye, i.e. 6 hours ago.

Also, yesterday i resumed my gym workout which could have led to a drop in my immune system. I know for sure as i was quite weak with a sore body and didnt get enough sleep last night, barely 4 hours. I have also been known to catch a flu after a heavy work out.

Could i attach a picture of my eye if that helps?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
You can attach a picture but I can tell you that no matter what, you need to see an eye doctor.

Whenever someone has light sensitivity and a red eye, a detailed eye exam is warranted with a slit lamp. You may have an eye infection called keratitis (which can be either viral or bacterial). If it is bacterial, it needs urgent treatment with antibiotics. It would be unable to tell you by a picture what exactly is going on.

I would call an ophthamologist or your primary care doctor now.
The rest of your symptoms are likley viral.....ibuprofen and other over the counter symptomatic treatment are likely all that are necessary unless new symptoms develop. The eye is the urgent symptom that needs evaluation right now.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Take care,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks so much, im off to see a doctor now
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Good, I am glad to hear it.

Take care.

Dr Abby