Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

My nose whistles at night. No amount of blowing of my nose

Customer Question

My nose whistles at night. No amount of blowing of my nose makes it stop. My nose doesn't even seem congested. It's not wheezing because I went to a doctor and he told me that it wasn't however he did not explain what to do about the nose whistling that is keeping my girlfriend up at night. How can I resolve this. Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  RAJESH CHAUHAN replied 4 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

How old are you?

Are you overweight/ obese?

Any other medical problems/ significant history?

Thanks. Shall wait for your reply.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am 30 years old as of November 16th of this year. I am 5'11" and 180lbs.

No other medical problems. I will keep trying to think of anything that might help with your diagnosis.

Thanks for the additional details. Based on your description I think that since you do not have any medical problems, we might be dealing snoring which could be normal for you (as are almost 40 or more percent of people who snore occasionally), or it might be because of:

(a) Some minor anatomical abnormality of the uvula/ soft palate

(b) Obstruction of nose/ nasal septum deviation/ nasal congestion

(c) Enlarged tonsils

(d) Posture while sleeping (especially on lying flat on the back)

(e) Sleep apnea

(f) Slight overweight (with BMI at 25.1)

(g) Large quantity of alcohol consumption/ using sedatives

Please check in with your doctor and get yourself examined thoroughly so that a cause may be found (if there is one). It may help if you could cut down on your weight, try to sleep on a side, reduce consumption of alcohol, and avoid sedatives.

Kindly have a look at this web resource which provides authentic details and it might be quite helpful to you:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/snoring/DS00297/METHOD=print&DSECTION=all

I hope that this information helps. Best wishes. Kindly feel free to enquire if you have any remaining concerns or doubts and it would be my privilege to try helping you as much as I can.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure I understand how it can be snoring. I have the whistle when I am laying in bed trying to get to sleep or in the morning after I have woken up. I thought snoring had to do with the way your tongue relaxes when you are asleep.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 4 years ago.

Although Dr. Chauhan gave you a very thorough answer, but basically did not address how your problem is assessed. You will likely need a sleep study so that your problem can be evaluated. Sleep studies are done in a laboratory that is made especially to diagnose problems that occur when one sleeps. Your doctor should be able to refer you to one.

If you happen to be obese and this problem started after you became obese, then that could be a contributing factor and learning how to change your eating patterns to decrease your weight would very likely be helpful. If you need suggestion on how to do this, I can explain recent research based information that can help you lose weight.

If you have any further questions what so ever, please write back with them so that I can address them for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok but still the problem does not begin when I am "asleep" thats where I'm having a hard time putting this together. In fact as I was typing this I tried to pay attention to my breathing and I hear even a mild whistle now. It's weird it's not all the time but it's also not only at bed time. I'm also not overweight and if I am according to standards It's only outside of a pound or two. 5'11" and 180lbs.

thanks for the timely response :)
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 4 years ago.
I don't think you ever mentioned that before (that it begins before you fall asleep!). Another suggestion would be to consider whether there were obstructions in the nasal cavities, as the doctor had already mentioned. For example, it is possible to have a growth such as a nasal polyp that is not visible to you. The best doctor to have this evaluated by is an ENT (ear, nose, and throat). Depending on your insurance you may be able to go directly to an ENT or you may need to get a referral from your doctor.
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS